I love the easy, and I had a lot of chicken, so I decided to make up an easy low carb Mexican chicken casserole. All the Mexican casserole recipes I was looking to adapt included chips or Tortilla layers. I did experiment with making a low carb tortilla, but it didn’t do well in the bottom of the casserole dish. It turned all soggy-mush. However, I was pleased with how the topping part of this casserole came out, so I adjusted the recipe to just include that. Hope you like it!
Note: Per comments, cut down or omit chicken base if yours has a lot of salt. Dee said hers turned out way too salty!
- Add chicken breasts, stock and garlic to skillet.
- Cook chicken in the stock over medium heat until cooked through and tender.
- Shred the chicken into the casserole dish, discarding any remaining stock.
- Mix in drained can of tomatoes and green chilies
- Dot the chicken / tomato mix with little bits of cream cheese.
- Cover with shredded pepperjack cheese.
- Cover with shredded monterey jack cheese.
- Cook in 350 degree oven about 35 minutes, until brown around the edges.
This came out nice, gooey and cheesy. Additional ingredients could be added as you see fit pretty easily. As long as it works with chicken and cheese, you're good!
I think you could easily add some more ingredients to this Easy Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole without sacrificing the “easy” part.
What would you suggest adding?