This recipe has really shocked me by becoming THE most popular recipe on my blog. I almost didn’t post it because it was so basic, but it’s essentially turned into a blueprint for people to personalize with their own additions and spices. Read the comments from my website! That’s where all sorts of inspiration is to make this your own.
I love the easy, and I had a lot of chicken, so I decided to make up an easy low carb Mexican chicken casserole. All the Mexican casserole recipes I was looking to adapt included chips or Tortilla layers. I did experiment with making a low carb tortilla, but it didn’t do well in the bottom of the casserole dish. It turned all soggy-mush. However, I was pleased with how the topping part of this casserole came out, so I adjusted the recipe to just include that. Hope you like it!
I cooked up some chicken. Added tomatoes and green chilies. Dotting with bits of cream cheese.
Covering with the shredded cheese.
Popped in the oven to bake until it’s nice and browning around the edges.
Note: Per comments, cut down or omit chicken base if yours has much salt. Dee said hers turned out way too salty!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or 1 tsp chicken base with water)
- 10 ounce can tomatoes with green chilies (drained)
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup pepperjack cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- Add chicken breasts, stock and garlic to skillet.
- Cook chicken in the stock over medium heat until cooked through and tender.
- Shred the chicken into the casserole dish, discarding any remaining stock.
- Mix in drained can of tomatoes and green chilies
- Dot the chicken / tomato mix with little bits of cream cheese.
- Cover with shredded pepperjack cheese.
- Cover with shredded monterey jack cheese.
- Cook in 350 degree oven about 35 minutes, until brown around the edges.
You could easily add some your own ingredients to this Easy Low Carb Mexican Chicken Casserole without sacrificing the “easy” part.
What would you suggest adding?