I used to hate, hate, hate brussel sprouts! So much so that I went literally years without eating any. Recently I gave them another go and realized, hey, these guys taste pretty good!
Funny what going low carb can do for you.
I used a drum grater to shred these puppies in just a few minutes–super duper handy for sure! But use what you have always. Because what good does a recipe do for you if you cannot make it?
- 1 pound brussels sprout (fresh)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup pork rinds (crushed)
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean and cut stems from brussel sprouts, removing outer leaves as needed. Shred the sprouts. I used a grater drum, but you could use a food processor, mandoline, or whatever tool you have on hand.
- Put sprouts into a baking dish.
- Add red pepper flakes, and liberally salt and pepper your sprouts. Mix the shredded cheddar into shredded sprouts.
- Put softened cream cheese, butter, and heavy cream into a bowl and microwave for a few seconds at a time until you can easily mix them together in a thick sauce. (If you don't use a microwave, you could do this over a low heat on the stove.)
- Add the cream and cream cheese sauce to your shredded sprouts and mix well.
- Add olive oil to parmesan and melt in the microwave, a few seconds at a time (or on your stove).
- Dot the parmesan on top of your sprout mixture and spread it around a bit.
- Sprinkle crushed pork rinds on top.
- Bake until brown on top and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
If you hate the pork rinds you can skip them. It’s still makes some good, low carb brussel sprouts anyway. But they really don’t taste all pork-rindy and make a perfect replacement for the bread crumbs usually added for a crunchy topping.
Are you a sprouts fan? Always or post going low carb?