This Cheesy Low Carb Creamed Asparagus was part of a simple quest to dress up dinner. I do what I can with whatever I’ve already got in the kitchen, even if it is plain, ol’ everyday food, you know? I consider it kind of a challenge. And bonus points if it’s fast and easy, too. Because by the time of the day I’m getting around to cooking dinner? I don’t have all that much energy for last minute shopping trips to the farmers’ market or any kind of fancy-dancy kitchen hijinks. I just wanna eat, man!
I looked around my kitchen asking, “What would taste good with asparagus?” and this is what I came up with. However, the sauce is one I’ve no doubt will get introduced to many other vegetables before we’re all said and done… It just took a few minutes and was very tasty!
- Gather your stuff together.
- Steam asparagus in microwave according to package directions
- In a saucepan, add cream cheese, heavy cream and brown mustard.
- Over medium-high heat, melt the cream cheese into the other ingredients,chopping it up and stirring frequently as you go.
- Add the shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese, melting into the other ingredients. Let the sauce cook down a little. A little bubbling is fine, but we don't want to burn it, so don't forget to stir!
- Mix in 2 Tablespoons of the bacon pieces, and turn heat to low.
- Drain the cooked asparagus and put into a serving dish.
It looked like more veggies on the box picture!
- Mix sauce into asparagus.
- Use the remaining bacon for garnish.
A little pepper or other seasoning of your choice would be fine to add. But I would not add salt to this if you're using bacon pieces, or it would probably be too salty.