I can take no credit whatsoever for this idea. It came from Theresa. But the moment it hit my brain, I knew I MUST have some! I literally could not think straight until I went to buy some hot dogs–the bacon was in the freezer already. I went to the store within the hour. Usually the only thing that will get me to leave the house immediately is running out of coffee creamer. But I was that possessed.
Because BACON! Duh.
The Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs –aka Bacon Dogs–turned out wonderful! Dogs were a complete hit. My kid even announced she was never again eating hot dogs NOT wrapped in bacon. It’s super-duper easy and very filling. The carb eaters had them on a bun, but I enjoyed them dipped in a bit of
What I learned from my Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs Experiments
- These can be made on the grill if you keep it covered to minimize flame flare-ups. I love the grill flavor. But if you are fussy about having parts of your bacon dogs charred, best go the oven route.
- Toothpicks to hold the bacon in place are definitely optional. They may have been marginally helpful for using the grill–my bacon ends flopped open a bit, but kind of didn’t care.
- Thin-sliced bacon is perfect if you want your bacon wrapped hot dogs crispy (which I highly recommend).
- One slice of bacon per hotdog worked great; one package of bacon covered about 2 packages of hotdogs.
- You’ll want to make extras Bacon Dogs! They are just as tasty warmed up.
- If you want to stuff with cheese, don’t even bother with mild flavors. I tried slicing the hot dogs and shoving some Harvati in there before wrapping (sorta like Swiss) and could not even taste it. Sharp cheddar could work, but really? It was good enough without it that I didn’t’ find the extra fuss warranted.
- 16 strips Bacon
- 2 Packages Hot dogs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wrap each hotdog in a slice of bacon, diagonally.
- Place on roasting pan, so grease can drain.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until bacon reaches the desired crispness.
Have you made bacon wrapped hot dogs? How did yours come out?