I can take no credit whatsoever for this idea. It came from my friend, Theresa. But the moment it hit my brain, I knew I MUST have some! I literally could not think straight until I went to buy some hot dogs–the bacon was in the freezer already. I went to the store within the hour. Usually the only thing that will get me to leave the house immediately is running out of coffee creamer. But I was that possessed.
Because BACON! Duh.
The Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs –aka Bacon Dogs–turned out wonderful! Dogs were a complete hit. My kid even announced she was never again eating hot dogs NOT wrapped in bacon. It’s super-duper easy and very filling. The carb eaters had them on a bun, but I enjoyed them dipped in a bit of sugar free BBQ sauce. It’s already been added to my regular dinner rotation.
What I learned from my Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs Experiments
- These can be made on the grill if you keep it covered to minimize flame flare-ups. I love the grill flavor. But if you are fussy about having parts of your bacon dogs charred, best go the oven route.
- Toothpicks to hold the bacon in place are definitely optional. They may have been marginally helpful for using the grill–my bacon ends flopped open a bit, but kind of didn’t care.
- Thin-sliced bacon is perfect if you want your bacon wrapped hot dogs crispy (which I highly recommend).
- One slice of bacon per hotdog worked great; one package of bacon covered about 2 packages of hotdogs.
- You’ll want to make extras Bacon Dogs! They are just as tasty warmed up.
- If you want to stuff with cheese, don’t even bother with mild flavors. I tried slicing the hot dogs and shoving some Harvati in there before wrapping (sorta like Swiss) and could not even taste it. Sharp cheddar could work, but really? It was good enough without it that I didn’t’ find the extra fuss warranted.
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
Just a little bit of bacon takes hot dogs from ho-hum to yum-yum!
Packages Hot dogs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Wrap each hotdog in a slice of bacon, diagonally.
Place on roasting pan, so grease can drain.
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until bacon reaches the desired crispness.
Using a 2-piece broiler pan makes the bacon crisper and clean up easier. They held together just fine without toothpicks. You can turn them mid-broil if you want to; I didn't fuss much over turning and mine cooked pretty evenly overall. They are good as leftovers warmed in the microwave, but for a second dinner, I preferred using the oven to not lose any of crispiness factor.
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
Amount Per Serving (1 g)
Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21g
Total Carbohydrates 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Bacon Dogs – Crisp from the oven and ready to enjoy.
Have you made bacon wrapped hot dogs? How did yours come out?