I made up these Low Carb Italian Crackers because somebody was asking about LC cracker recipes on our Facebook page, so I pulled out one of my cookbooks and adapted a recipe to fit what I had in the cupboard. Because hey, my favorite recipes are the ones that I don’t have to go to the store to make!
A little experimentation later, and I ended up with these savory, crunchy, diamond-shaped crackers. They passed the husband test–he thought I bought ’em!–so I decided to share the recipe with you all.
Hope you like them! If you make these, let me know what you think in the comments or share any experimentation with us.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine cheese, oat bran, almond flour, garlic and onion powders and Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
- Put an egg white into a measuring cup, and then carefully add water until you reach a half-cup mark total liquid. Too much liquid = no crunch.
- Mix the egg white and water into the dry ingredients well. The mixture should be slightly moist but not overly wet.
- Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the cracker dough on top..
- Add a second layer of parchment paper over it all, and roll dough into a very thin layer. The thinner the dough, the more crispy your crackers will be.
- Peel off the top paper and use a pizza cutter to score crackers into little diamonds. Mine were about 1 1/2 inches or so and made about 50 crackers total.
- Stop nibbling on the dough! Sprinkle garlic salt on the top and pop in the oven.
- Bake for around 20 minutes, or until your crackers are brown and crispy-looking. Longer baking time = crunchier crackers.
- Let them cool a few minutes, then break apart and store in a covered container.