Just a heads up, one of the sites we share recipes from, Satisfying Eats, has a Black Friday cookbook sale. Both of her coobooks are 99 cents today, so it's a great opportunity to grab one if you're so inclined. ~Dix
Dr. Jonny Bowden has The Great Cholesterol Myth on sale until Dec 1 for $2.99 for the Kindle. NOTE about the slow cooker book: Mentioned but evidently the sale has expired, that's why it's pictured. also the carb counts are higher than for the stuff we normally share. It would be most appropriate for someone in maintenece or perhaps a #paleo follower who does not watch their carb intake as closely as our regular #lowcarb and #keto folks do.~Dix
If you got too far off-track yesterday, it's time to begin anew! Here are 6 Tips for Dealing with a Derail....
1. GET BACK on track, now! Don't wait for after the holidays, next month, next week or tomorrow. Now is the only moment where you have any real power. Your backside does not check the calendar. Why add another 10 -20 pounds to your workload for no reason by waiting? The sooner you're being kind to your body, the sooner you'll feel better.
2. Let go of the self-criticism. What's done is done and it does nothing constructive for your health or peace of mind. Eating is not a moral issue, it's a practical issue. You are not "good" when you're eating well and "bad" when you're not. You just FEEL better when you're eating well! Taking good care of your body is truly an act of self-love, and it's hard to act in a loving way when we're saying all kinds of mean things to ourselves. It's not necessary or helpful.
3. Stay away from the scale for at least a week. Carbfests after someone has been eating low carb a while tend to cause significant water retention. That scale number is a lie, but it will make you feel lousy anyway, so don't even go there.
4. Drink extra water. This helps flush your system and will get you feeling back to your old self sooner.
5. Be prepared to deal with the consequences. I'm not talking about weight gain so much as increased appetite, cravings and a general malaise that often accompanies straying way off plan. Now is the time to give yourself solid, workable low carb options to address any cravings that come up post pig-out. Have acceptable meals and snacks ready to go. Eat when you're hungry, and stop when you're not. You may end up eating more for a few days, but appetite will regulate itself back to normal levels soon enough as long as you stay on track.
6. Look for the blessing in disguise here. Did you learn anything from the experience? That information can become a tool for you to use in the future. No need for "a day of stray" to go to waste...or waist! If you can examine the experience rationally, you are better equipped to deal with challenges moving forward. Understanding your own needs, your triggers, and how these experiences make you feel all contribute toward being more attuned with your own rhythms and behaviors. And that, my friends, makes it a valuable lesson.
Those are my quick tips for getting on track. What do you think? What would you add to the list? And how was YOUR Thanksgiving?!? ~Dix ... See MoreSee Less
Melissa ChillotI did awesome!!!! Didn't go off track it all!!! 😊👏👏2 · 46 minutes ago
Brenda FlemingI used some of your recipes and made low carb for me and a friend with Diabetes . I stayed on track and feel terrific ! I did make regular stuff for everyone else . I wasn't 't tempted at all ! Yeah !2 · 2 hours ago
Debbie BakerNeeded these tips this morning! Work stress more than anything had be consuming all sorts of things that I shouldn't have at Thanksgiving. I particularly appreciated the tip about planning for the cravings that you just kick started2 · 2 hours ago
Stacy Mzzshuga BlountLOVE YOU Stacy Belinski!!! I TRIED SOOOOOO HARD!! BUT I GOT REQUESTS FOR MY FAMOUS POUND CAKES, AND,,,,OF COURSE I LICKED THE BEATERS, AND SOME OF THE BOWL,,,,,AND A COUPLE SLICES. LMAO!! I FELL ALL THE WAY OFF! 😕😕😕1 · 2 hours ago
Julia MuysI learned that keto treats with Swerve are delicious but make me sick. Since the only non-keto 'treat' I had yesterday was a small spoon of cranberry sauce, I'm actually Ok. My tip though, is start the day with something healthy, it will make you feel better about yourself.1 · 2 hours ago